The first permanent settlers in Kaneville Township were Amos and Amanda
Minor, who built their house on Perry Road, in 1836. The Village of Kaneville
grew at the intersection of the furrows plowed for the stage coach to follow.
These two furrows showed the way from Batavia to Dixon and the trail from
Chicago to Galena. Within a short time, the village had roads, stores, churches
and schools and a government framework, all of which exist today.
The addition of the Ravlin subdivision in the 1960’s doubled the size of the
After many Kaneville Township Board public meetings where the issue of
incorporation was discussed, in depth, the residents voted to incorporate in
November 2006. An area of approximately one square mile, centered at Main St.
and Harter Rd., constitutes the village, today. The 2000 Census stated the
population of Kaneville to be 440 residents. An unofficial census taken by the
village in 2007 indicated 490 residents.
Upon being incorporated, village officials were appointed, in accordance with
Illinois statutes, by a Kane County judge, based upon resumes submitted by
several residents after an invitation to apply for these positions was posted at
several locations in the village. At the April 2007 General Election, the appointed
officials formally ran for office and were elected by the residents.